Thursday 19 May 2011

here comes the summer.

It's been a very busy month of final submissions, moving house, exhibitions, degree show parties whilst also in the process of forming an ECA Illustration/Painting collaborative, doing new drawings and self initiated projects. I forgot to mention the very hectic social life of playing and working hard also!

Amelia Gregory and her new book
Amelia's Compendium of Fashion Illustration


On Tuesday, I went to the Fruitmarket Gallery with a few Illustration friends to see the very multidisciplinary Amelia Gregory, founder of Amelia's Magazine who is currently on tour promoting her new book, Amelia's Compendium of Fashion Illustration. Her talk was really inspiring and makes me realise what a long way I have to go in terms of experience! Amelia discussed a variety of different topics from eco fashion; becoming a self publisher and setting up Amelia's Magazine and the stages it developed through; how to showcase and promote your work as an Illustrator; sponsorship; and the benefits of using a variety of different social networking mediums to build awareness of your work.

After the talk, I had a chance to have a quick chat with Amelia Gregory herself who has greatly emphasised twitter to me which I must organise as soon as I can! Amelia managed to create a lovely atmosphere, bringing with her a variety of wares such as her two books Amelia's Anthology of Illustration and Amelia's Compendium of Fashion Illustration, Amelia's Mag back issues, and Tatty Devine jewellery and lots of free postcards!

There was also lovely free Dr. Hauschka goodies, party rings, iced gems and Juiceology juice to indulge on. I had the Apple, Lime and Mint which reminded me of a tasty mojito. Mmm!

Rachel McBrinn and Julie Ritchie
Seamus Killick
Rachel McBrinn, Julie Ritchie and Sam Caldwell

Amongst all this, I am collaborating with my fellow class mates Julie Ritchie, Rachel McBrinn (former Art Director of Trisickle magazine), Seamus Killick, Thomas Grant, and Sam Caldwell to create a small zine dedicated to the theme of Bucks and Does. We are aiming to get it online and into a variety of different outlets in Edinburgh and possibly for around the Edinburgh College of Art Degree Show. Watch this space.

There is also the opening of the Duncan of Jordanstone Degree Show tomorrow night which I am highly looking forward to. A lot of my friends from Jewellery, Fine Art, Textiles, Graphic Design and Illustration are graduating so can't wait to see their end of year show and of course all the parties...!

2 comments:

  1. Ahh Amelia is such a talented lass! Lucky for you :) Living in the capital is doing great things for you. Would love to see a copy of the zine when I get my butt back up there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh I'd be very interested in seeing/buying/whatever your planned zine! You should look into Zine Fairs, there are loads around the UK! I'm going to one in Nottingham this weekend, Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete